Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Post-Journey

So. I know this story is a wee bit different than my previous ones have been. And there are several reasons for that. The first of which is that this whole write a story a week for a year thing is a bit more intense than I thought it would be so I asked dearest Sh to give me an assignment this week (so the first sentence is of his provision, the rest is mine). The second of which is that I had to keep the story under 500 words, also per the assignment. The third of which is that because the starting sentence was so lyrical, I really wanted to just take the opportunity to play with words. I didn’t start off with a character sketch of any kind. I didn’t start off with any kind of situation or plot ideas. I just started playing with really rich language and decided to see where it took me.

Where it took me was not only to this place of dramatic and lovely language, but also an exploration of balance. As the light shifted to shadow, so the he needed a she. As his adoration of her blossomed so did her detestation of him. As the fear typically brings fear, so did that fear transcend into dancing. And so on and so forth. I’m not entirely sure if it worked all the way through, but it was actually a really fun exercise to just let the words come and see where they took me.

What did you think?

No comments: